Tuesday 16 September 2008

Does God Get To Have A Personality?

Since I wrote the previous post, I've had three people tell me (in person) "But God's not a person."  
   I also had one person tell me that in email, and one tell me "the bible certainly depicts God as being a full-fledged person with a heart and so on, but I can't really think of Him that way. Jesus is a person, and God is too, but I can't think of Him like that." 
   Jesus didn't go around Israel saying "If God were a person, He'd be like me, but He isn't, so I'm His opposite."  He went around essentially saying "If you see me, you're looking at God.  If you know me, you know Him.  He's just like this, and I'm here so you know what kind of person He is, so you'll get to experience and understand what He's actually like." 
  I have to think that depersonalizing one's relationship with a loving God has huge consequences and puts major limits upon how one deals, just as any failure to deal with reality does.  I think many are challenged by even The Shack's schoolgirl attempts to depict God as having a personality.

No comments: