Thursday 30 April 2009

What Have I Been Doing?

Recording and mixing, mixing and recording, and pretty much all of it other people's stuff, mainly me making a CD of the high school kids doing their parts from the musical Footloose that our school just finished.  I'm recording drums (4 mics), bass guitar, electric guitar, saxophones, flutes, percussion instruments, and all sorts of vocals, often by heavily-trained kids with high-powered voices.  It's plenty fun.  The songs, as recorded, will sound much more rock 'n roll than Broadway.

 A lot of that comes from how they are mixed.  Put turned-up drums, bass and many multi-layered guitars all over something, with some heavy-handed piano, and it tends to rock out more than it does when the instruments are plunking along docilely behind a stage full of performers singing.  Lots of work.  Very educational for me (I have recently tried out my equipment in many ways, as I have recorded direct-in from wireless microphones fed into a sound board, I have mic-ed any number of things, including the room sounds and over-all band sound at the musical, and also used MIDI data from electric piano, and fed instruments such as keyboards direct in.)

Here is Holding Out for A Hero.

No comments: