Sunday 9 January 2011

Taking Song Requests By Email Now

I was just thinking today how that I keep writing things and recording songs and putting them up here, and how I never really know if anyone is looking at/listening to them or whatever.  I realized today that it would make my day if I just had report of anyone listening to anything I'd done more than once, or downloading it and keeping it in their  hard drive.  I have a hit counter on my main site, which surely and steadily goes up, but I don't actually know who's checking what out, nor what they think.  (I get a tirade of abuse and personal comments a few times a year, but that hardly counts as constructive or friendly feedback or affirmation.)

And then a friend of mine emailed a request for me to record a Johnny Cash cover, of a song I, oddly, hadn't heard before.  I did it anyway.  Lit some candles, yelled at the cat to stop wrestling around with lyrics papers in my guitar case a few times, put a googled set of the lyrics up after having learned the song by looking at Johnny and June do it as a duet on YouTube, and here it is.

I'm trying to do a song that needs Motown or soul vocals, and that's a stretch for my voice.  This country/folk cover, meanwhile, is the sort of song that my voice is much more suited to doing easily.

No comments: