Friday 20 September 2013

God

So much in my life isn't easy, lately. It's a balancing act. There are no guarantees of anything.  Not even more days stretched out ahead. But there probably will be, and I need to face them well, and not miss out on taking in and participating in good.
  So I ask myself what I have control over and if I want to "act into" that, and what I have no control over and if I can let all that go. And I ask myself what I can do today. What would be good? Day sized chunks.
  Don't always know if I should act, but sometimes I get full of something and it pours out.
And some people are guaranteed to think it was bad, and refuse to see God in it.  So long as it is pure and real and alive, though not guaranteed to "pay off," so long as I mean it and am not lying.   So long as it was me being myself.   Then maybe it will work out.  No guarantees.
  God gives opportunities and potential. We can grab them and hug them to ourselves or not.  We don't have to do anything at all. We can put them on the shelf. Let them gather dust.
  You know what we do?  We shoulder constraints from other people's assumptions and expectations, and then blame God for forcing us to be under them. If we knew how free He wants us to be, we'd flee in terror. We don't like Him very much sometimes because we put His face on boxes of limits and laws and constraints, and not on the love, the connection, the good.
  God is in so much stuff. And we think He isn't. On our own head be it if we only attribute the difficult stuff to Him, distrust Him and shut Him out, and then find, shockingly, that we don't feel very fond of Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this. The best part of leaving behind the PB culture and finding the face of God was seeing God in absolutely everything. In the profound peacefulness of a baby falling asleep in my arms. In a dragonfly landing on my cheek, holding a salamander or a baby bird in my palm, in my husband's unconditional love. It's so much more than just Talking About Spiritual Things. It's looking at suffering, either our own or the world's or a loved one's, and seeing the Cross and knowing, Jesus gets this. He died so He could get how we feel. It's living and breathing the love of Jesus with every heartbeat.