Saturday 15 August 2009

Descent of the Sweltering Doldrums

It has suddenly, in the first half of August, started to get summer hot for the first time this summer.  Not record-breaking, but terribly humid at 30C/86F.

Bethany came to visit my sister.  I waited up for her to arrive and we went for a walk.  She can't see the stars in Brooklyn, and at my folks' place where she's staying, it's nothing but tree-framed, star-filled sky.

Having pretty much managed to stop writing my book The Screwtape Emails, and eagerly awaiting feedback and grammar and spelling vetting from various people, I have finally cast an eye toward doing some music.  Because I spent all spring messing around with recording the music for our high school musical and editing a video of it and so on, it took me a good while to get back in the mood to work on music again.  I haven't been playing guitar at all this summer, really.

But I started the process of taking all the sound files I've recorded for my eternally picked-away-at and re-redone album and cuing them up in my laptop under Pro Tools.  With the superior effects and a newfound sense of taste, I am able to make the individual sounds work better with less tinkering, and can get more of a cohesive, evocative mix without so many effects.  Lots of sound effects (in the sense of funny sounds), but less digital effects put on the instruments and so on.

I've started taking walks at night, which is something I used to do, and is good if, like me, you don't really get exercise.  I went to the unlit local park and sat on the bleachers and watched the meteor shower this week.

I ran some old song files through my new computer with Pro Tools, including this one, starting with its quirky intro to the album it should be the first track on.  I really love adding kinda cinematic sound effects and samples and things to pretty conventional songs.

1 comment:

bethany said...

thx much for waiting up, great walk. sorry i didn't get to see you again on the wknd. came home to sweltering misery here too. will send some pics, got good one of your folks i think and of deb/annarose.