Saturday 8 August 2009

Wedding

I'm in Montreal still, and am not at the science fiction convention that is here, with guest of honour Neil Gaiman, and the masquerade (people in nerdy costumes calculated to delight people like me). I am in my motel room taking a brief break from the wedding festivities.
My niece was, I thought, adorable as flower girl. and my cousin and bride were young and giggly and happy. I came up here (my hotel room) in the middle of a ten course Italian meal with dancing during it. "Billie Jean" had morphed into "Do You Think I'm Sexy?" and the wedding party were having a vigorous danceoff. ps: after more time in the reception room, I decided to compose a list of "best things about this weekend" -drunken uncle Woodstock stories (yes!) "You see Hendrix put the entire spirit of the disenfranchined in the whole nation into this one howling guitar scream while he's playing the National Anthem. and you realize that, if you like a girl's ass at noon, and you still like it at ten o'clock, you may actually prefer a fried egg and a coffee by that point." -Italian girls in little dresses dancing their asses off with tiny Italian octogenarian men. -trying Sangria -carrying my nephew around and having women of all kinds assume he was my son and asking me how old he was and stuff -Italian food that I couldn't identify appearing, dish after dish, in front of me to be eaten -having a 1 Terabit hard drive full of tv shows and movies beside my laptop in my hotel room so I could watch anything I'd watch at home, and not bothering to -having kids I used to teach tell me to check my ratemyteacher.com entry, as it has two glowing reports, and one which the exstudent said must have been just complaining over a low mark, because it "didn't sound like you at all" because I did "just fine" while teaching, and her passing English wasn't a given, and we got her through it, she and I -delighting my niece by "waiting for the food" restaurant tricks with condiments and utensils and, being me, my least favourite things about this weekend so far: -drunken uncle greeting me for the first time in many years by saying I'd put on weight and guessing my age at 43 -not being able to hear what sober uncle had to say about history and politics because songs like "Endless Love" were drowning him out though he was sitting right beside me -driving. in Montreal. Ever. -completely disaranged sleep cycle and a whole lot of stiff and crooked feeling muscles and joints because of it -hot sun. being exposed to it and being in cars on asphalt in it -not having anyone to dance with

No comments: