Tuesday 19 October 2010

Roger Waters

Went and saw Roger Waters perform The Wall live in Ottawa.  Giant forboding string puppets with lightup eyes coming down from the ceiling, a floating pig/blimp, a model Stuka WW2 airplane flying in over the audience on a wire to "smash into" the giant stadium-filling wall with flames and fireworks going off.  Did I mention The Wall has long been my favourite album of all time, if only for the personal, the nasty, the theatrical, the neurotic and the complicated qualities of it?  It was so amazing.  To have Roger Waters come out for The Trial sequence and sing all the voices and accents by himself, appearing to be having the time of his life being a bit of a ham, but also (the material) being upsetting and messed up too.  a lot of modernized images like the one seen in the lower picture were used to great effect. (it was part of a series of Apple commercial parodies, including iKill and iPay (on a picture of a cemetery for dead soldiers).  The one below is scary dogs with iPod headphones in, and it says iProtect)

I can't sing with an anguished yowl like Roger Waters, I can't really fingerpick guitar very well, and this particular song seems to be hard for me to follow all the chord progressions in, but I was so afterglowy from the concert that I decided to record a song from The Wall.  I made a point of using all my new music stuff.  A pair of SM57s on the rotating Leslie speaker cabinet, the B.C. Rich Warlock guitar, and a pair of thousand dollar microphones by AKG that I got for much less than that on eBay.  The newer, light-up LED mic in the little shockproof harness is really amazing.  Forgiving the obvious lacks in performance, I think the quality of the microphones can be heard nicely in this recording.

No comments: