Sunday 24 April 2011

Eugene's Poem

  My Facebook status today said:  
has drank a Monster energy drink to shake the chilly, wet, grey lethargy, and has installed new, non-grinding-noise-making power supplies in two of his computers, vacuumed the dust out of said machines, virtuously bought reasonably-priced DVDs of things previously pirated, deleted said files and shuffled data among hard drives rather than merely buying a brand new 3 Tb external drive, as he was very tempted to do.

  Recorded another of my songs that George did drums on.  This was an odd one.  I set myself an odd task.  Back when a song tune came to me almost every day, I decided "I'll just choose any odd poem a friend has written, and surprise him by making it into a song."  And I did.  There are supposed to be Irish elements in it, some of which can still be added to the intro and two quiet verses.  Like everything I do lately though, this one seemed to get louder and louder, which felt great at the time.  One good thing: I'm not worrying about being too careful.  Obviously.  Makes me wonder exactly how much frustration and energy there is that I'm clearly using music to vent...  Mark is apt to write poetry that is a bit silly, so I picked one that I liked:


Eugene's Poem
I've often seen wonder, more often seen pride
And I've let down the trappings but never complied
I've seen little creatures in puddles of light
Sharing their colours with all of the night.

I look when I'm lonely, I sing when I'm free
And seaweed is only the weed of the sea
Come sing with me comrade, come fly with me friend
These heart-aches I've kindled are not going to end.

When I have a heart-ache I drink me some cream
And ride floating planets, go drifting downstream
But I work when I'm humble, I dream when I'm sane
And I never rely on Rememory's Lane

But hunger is peaceful and lifetime is long
Loneliness lovely and sadness a song
Quack quack quack-quack quack quack quack quack quack quack
Quack quack quack-quack quack quack quack quack quack quack

The small fuzzy creatures with mint on their fangs
Will warble of pickles and lost hunger pangs
We'll wake up in hunger, we'll feed us on doubt
And dream on the light 'till it radiates out.

No comments: