Saturday 23 November 2013

Out of Nowhere... A Song

I've been writing too many songs mocking and joking around about the modern state of church worship, and what doesn't work for me, and stuff like that. Out of nowhere, this song came to me today, which dares to risk mockery itself, by being sincere and earnest about the matter.  This is the first time I wrote a song in the morning, went out for the afternoon, and came home and did a "video" the same day.  The "video" was all selfied up-nose with iPhone, playing with a floor lamp and musical things cluttering up my living room:



I Don’t Know What You Like

I was raised to hang my head in shame
Right on cue, for an hour Sunday morning
And sing songs of pain, and reverent self-blame
So that’s what I did
And I’m used to that

But do you like it all
Or are there things you are more fond of?
Can we reach a point where we’re singing to ourselves?
About how we feel, live and believe
But leave you out
Almost entirely
I don’t know what you like.
No I don’t know
What you like

Went to a church filled with weeping hipster youngsters
Selfying teens, singing songs about them singing
Yeah, singing songs about liking singing songs
That’s what they did
And I wasn’t feeling that

‘Cause we’ve got songs about sweat and blood and pain,
Debasing death and about our sin and shame
And we’ve got songs about how awesome we are feeling
To gladly surrender our sweet, special lives
 

No comments: