Saturday 23 August 2003

Great Neck Pennsylvania Revisited

Renting a dolly or trailer to tow a car isn't expensive. Thing is, you need a sturdy vehicle to tow with. You can't rent these from anyone besides U-Haul. I was unable to borrow a truck locally , so I arranged a one-way rental through U-Haul. I drove 40 min to my folks to switch cars to Mom's car, the one Dad was willing to let me drive into the States. Then I drove 1.5 hours to Dave's house in Kingston. We got confirmation over the phone that equipment would be ready for us when we arrived in Binghamton New York. We had just enough time to drive the 4 hours down to Binghamton and get the equipment before the U-Haul office closed. I'd arranged a truck with a 14' box on the back, and they only had one with 17', so I ended up driving quite a big truck. Dave followed me in Mom's car as I drove the truck 20min south to Great Bend, where my car was waiting. U-Haul trucks are A/C with radios, so it was okay, though all those hills at 65mph are a bit scary to non-commercial drivers put into huge, heavy trucks on a windy day. The rental guy had assured me that he'd left the radio "Cranked up to a station with some kickass guitar tunes" so that's what I listened to. How many stations in the Ottawa-area play "Whitesnake" on a daily basis? (Don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question and we don't want to argue that Justin Timberlake rocks so much harder than Whitesnake that there's no comparison, do we?) We said hi to the folks who'd helped me out when I first got stranded there, had pizza slices, Dr. Pepper and miscellaneous junk food hard to find in Canada (Milk Duds, Charleston Chew and so on) and then got things started. We loaded the Beretta onto the dolly (it still starts and drives and makes an awful clatter from inside its falling-apart engine) and then we drove it back through a thunderstorm with high winds and a lot of extremely violent lightning. (kickass guitar tunes the whole way, too. I found out which local fairs had bands like Def Leppard and Honeymoon Suite playing at them) At the border, they didn't really ask anything about it. I'm tempted to drive the truck back down, put my plates on someone else's car and bring it up here too, if it's that easy. Dad thinks I'm crazy to tow this car back up here instead of selling it for scrap, but I like it and we have two spare engines besides the one that's in it. One is low mileage. Once I get a teaching gig, then I can look to getting my cousin to ready the better of the three engines to put it back in. On that day, perhaps my Beretta will live again!

No comments: