Tuesday 4 December 2007

A Snow Day That Would Not Be Denied


Normally when I wake up and see lots of snow or ice outside, I check online and see if buses to my school are cancelled. If they are, the walking kids don't come either, and I drive carefully into school on dangerous roads, and hang out there all day, not getting much of anything done, with a random kid wandering here or there in the halls. 
     Today, the buses were cancelled due to snow (usually it's ice) and I got into my car and drove it backwards out of the parking lot. I saw that the snow plow had left a big crest of snow across the sidewalk, and that I'd have to get up some speed to get over it. I got up some speed, and at the last minute a truck hove over the horizon and I had to jam on the brakes, getting firmly stuck at the sidewalk. I couldn't get out, despite a lot of digging with a shovel, and tossing down cat litter, so I went in and watched the "Razor" episode of Battlestar Galactica, overjoyed to see the designs from the classic series rendered in computer form, showing how much cooler they are than the new ones, which really can't compete on any level with them. I had to stay home from school, for once.
Then when I saw a man needing to snowplow our parking lot which my car was blocking, I went out and he tried to help push, but to no avail. Eventually, we hooked a towchain to my tow hitch and he pulled me out onto the street. It was almost noon, so I decided not to go into school. I made up my (recently micturated upon by a sick feline) bed, took a prolonged nap, did laundry, did dishes, worked on my school website (mostly this page), talked on the phone to a vet about the cat, who is acting like nothing at all happened yesterday, and walking with only a slight stiffness (that's not how blood clots are supposed to go at all) and checked the post office for my replacement Nintendo cartridge socket (still not in) and surprised myself by walking into the restaurant that is beside my building and ordering a hot turkey sandwich. I had food at home, but, after this weekend, and after the ordeals of the day, I seemed to totally need some coddling. 
Then I came in and started watching the BBC live-action TV movie of Terry Pratchett's novel Hogfather. Quite a thing to see that not in cartoon form. Looked fairly Harry Potter, actually. That's not the best of Pratchett's work, but it is Christmas-themed (kinda. The Santa Claus character of the Discworld is missing, so Death has to fill in) so was an obvious choice for adaptation. 
   The story is too complex and farflung to make an easy transition. The concepts are far more entertaining than the execution. Then I did more dishes and played my way through a selection of Johnny Cash songs on my electric guitar (not plugged in) which I surfed through on the net. I'm all cabin fevery, the weather outside is fairly frightful, no one has been phoning or emailing for days, I'm sick of watching DVDs but have nothing else to do, really. All my marking is at school, or I'd have done some of that.

No comments: