Sunday 3 February 2008

Solitary Weekend


So it's another "I don't get paid until next Friday" weekend. I did a whole lot of napping and watching stuff on TV. I watched three (British, six episode) seasons of The Mighty Boosh, for example, having not seen any episodes before, sir. Boosh is a quarter Flight of the Conchords, and three quarters Peewee's Playhouse. Stuff like that has the curious effect of tempting me simultaneously to give up on music, because they can make silly music that is so good, so easily; and also to make music, but be a bit more relaxed about it.

The plan was to go into the city on Saturday with Joel, but he stayed up all night and slept all day until it was too late to go in and expect to get any shopping done. Today, I went in and got replacement shoelaces for my dress shoes (friction and salt stains from winter broke one), some interesting groceries, a 2008 calendar (Battlestar Galactica), a used DVD set of Season One of Millenium (it was cheap and I used to watch it all the time ten years ago) and the first Buffy Season Eight trade paperback.


I found a link from author Neil Gaiman's blog to a blog just for posting photos of misuses of quotation marks. My favourite I've ever seen personally was a sign on a restaurant kitchen door which read "Employees" Only.

I did some thinking about what it would be like to be a hermit, to have endless time without anything interrupting your thoughts, and what sort of thinking you'd do. I thought about how I am alone most of the time, including Friday afternoon until Monday morning, and how my thoughts and demeanor are no doubt more hermit-like than most, and how difficult that makes it for me to connect to others.

I managed not to watch any SuperBowl (football is the gheyest ghame evar) and am trying to see some House. Maybe once they're all done talking about their feelings about the football, they'll show me something I actually give a freckled rat's anus about.

No comments: