Wednesday 20 February 2008

Total Eclipse of the Moon

The plan is that tomorrow some teachers will hang out at my unprecedentedly untidy apartment ("a full house's worth of stuff stacked in a tiny apartment") and play some music and retro video games before going to an open stage to perform. 
    When I came home, instead of napping, I did some tidying. It's not like I can ever make it look neat here, but I did throw out a bunch of stuff. Also, it is "Pink Day" at school tomorrow. Some kid was bullied for wearing a pink shirt to school in Nova Scotia, so the majority of the kids all started wearing pink to take a stand against this. We're supposed to wear pink. I don't own any. I went to Wal-mart, and asked a girl who I taught to help me find a non-girly woman's t-shirt in hot pink that would fit me. There were no pink guy's clothing, and no girl's clothing big enough for a man to wear, that didn't have a scooped neck and so on. I picked up a purplish shirt, planning to bleach it. 
     So, I cleaned, and I bleached shirts. I bleached the purplish and it was getting kinda cool, but I took a red shirt and bleached the hell out of it to see what I'd get. What I got was a light-orange shirt. Then, for fun, I splashe undiluted bleach across a black t-shirt. I got a black shirt an an orange spatter that looks like nebulae in space. 
     Then I went to the open stage (tomorrow night is a different one in a different town). I sang some new songs I'm just learning ("Thirteen" as covered by Johnny Cash, "I Will Wait For You" by The Northern Pikes and ones I already know but haven't been playing, to whit "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, and "Heaven Can Wait" by Meat Loaf.) 
     The moon was being eclipsed by the earth tonight, so on the drive there, on dark highway through evergreen forests, I watched the eclipse happen through the moon roof in my car. I didn't hit any deer or anything. 
    When I came out of the pub after playing, that "It's a bit cold, so there is no moisture, and everything is completely silent and the slightest sound echoes" thing was happening in the main street of that little town. It's only about -20C (-4F) which isn't very cold, but cold enough to make everything snap, crackle and pop a bit more than usual. The stillness that creates is quite something.

No comments: