Saturday 31 October 2009

All Hallows Eve

I am working on "modeling" analytical writing for my grade 11s.  I want to show how to analyze normal, everyday stuff with language suitable for English class.  I want to break the cycle of using overblown, pseudo English class writing which is almost completely lacking meaning, let alone analysis.  I think I'll show them opening sequences of TV shows and have them analyze the images chosen and connect them to the nature of the show.  Here is a sample of what I will give as an example:

 

    The opening credits to the live-action 1970s television show The Incredible Hulk make no attempt to inject cheesy comic book fun into the Incredible Hulk story, but try instead to present a dramatic, action-filled story shot through with audience sympathy for the plight of David Banner, played ably by a stoic Bill Bixby.  The opening credits have Ted Cassidy of The Addams Family’s deep voice giving the Hulk’s origin story as the video tells the story over music which is at first a strident, ringing piano riff, sliding into typical 70s orchestral music which combines drama and longing.  The first image is an extreme close-up of a red flashing indicator light which reads “DANGER.”  The cropping of the image is such that, until a slight snap-zoom out, the “D” is not visible, and the light warns of “ANGER,” the emotional state which triggers Banner’s uncontrollable transformation into the destructive, berserk green monster.  The opening credits provide a quick recap of the scientific process which inflicted this condition upon Banner, with quick cuts of the machines responsible, some x-rays and medical images, the transformation into the Hulk, and some fire and explosions to show how destructive the monster is, as well as a shot of Banner standing by his own gravestone to show that he now has no place in society.  A shot of Banner warning an investigative reporter away, with the now-famous, amusingly understated, “Mr. McGee, don’t make me angry.  You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry” is included to introduce new viewers to the investigative reporter character who is used to require Banner to keep on the move and drive the story forward each week.  The montage ends with a paused split-screen image which combines one side of Banner’s troubled face with the unbridled fury of the Hulk’s own rage-contorted visage completing the image.  The origins of the character (a comic-book combo of horror-classic Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde with Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein) are seen in this quite clearly. In fitting book-end symmetry, the beginning and end of each episode depicts David Banner, with a forlorn knapsack containing his meagre worldly possessions, trudging off by himself to the strains of a tear-jerking piano piece entitled “The Lonely Man.”

Today the intention was to go into the city to buy a new classroom TV from a pawn shop.  My classroom TV is nice to have, but is quite small.  I decided, on the off chance that the local, always-about-to-be-shut-down, rarely open pawn shop was open, that I'd call.  They were open until 3pm on a Saturday, so I went.  

Their TVs were disappointingly expensive, and really, none were very big.  In fact, they were all about the right size to put under your arm and climb back out a broken window with.  I was going to unhappily buy a medium sized Sony which had clearly been dropped, when I saw something up on a shelf with the radios.  It was a PC projector, which every classroom needs, and for only $200.  I got it.  Now I can project anything I can put on a computer, DVD player or VCR onto the wall, large as all outdoors.  I got waylaid by a BB gun scope which will be perfect for my replica of Han Solo's blaster from Star Wars ANH, and Rock Band 2 for Playstation 2.  I picked up those too, and took them to my parents' house.  When I have just been paid, I can really just wander around of a Saturday, bleeding money.

My sister was doing OK, though she's still undergoing tests to see why her heart rate goes through the roof when she exerts herself even slightly.  She's never tried singing into a game, so I just hooked up the microphone to their PS2, and she and I sang a bunch of the songs, collaborating to open up the new ones.  It was nice, because it got her out of the doldrums, and "into" something without feeling sick, and it was almost creative, somewhat emotive and we worked together.

The kids were quite excited about trick or treating, and we took them to the neighbors, who never get many kids, so make extra nice gift bags with toy dinosaurs and crayons and things besides all the candy.  My nephew was terrified at first, but soon got the idea that if he eagerly went into or up to houses, he'd get candy.  Then he wanted to go straight in and leave immediately as it was handed to him, without looking at the friendly adults who wanted to coo over his parrot suit.

No comments: