Sunday 6 January 2008

Wasting the Last Bit of Time Before School


I did a lot of lying around, reading, surfing the Internet and so on. I didn't do enough other things. I put the word out that I am looking for a free kitten, and have gotten no information yet on that. On Friday evening, Joel1 came over and we watched funny stuff. I showed him The Peter Serafinowicz Show and he showed me Brainiac: Science Abuse (a British show that is like Jackass, only with a thin pretense of being "scientific" where Jackass is redneck, skater/stoner). We tried some hacks of Atari 2600 games that, in an emulator, have the graphics of, for instance, Space Invaders or Galaxion, replaced with Star Wars ones or the like.

On Saturday, Joel2 and I went to Joel2's friend Matt's house. On the way I stopped to buy whatever cheap set of TV show DVDs were on sale used at CD Warehouse (or "Seedy Warehouse" as it sounds in my head). I got X-Files Season 4 to have something to pass the time, to veg to. Joel2 and Matt like to make noisy soundscape "music" stuff and don't have cars and live in different towns. I was the enabler, the facilliator of the noise this Saturday. I got to sit in on all of the setting up of equipment that was mostly fallen apart, and witness the howling caucophony of guitars with all of the strings broken and hanging, feeding back wildly while said strings are wound around the neck and yanked upon to make vrooming sounds, or played with a metal vibrator to make moaning chainsaw roars and so on. I had a bit of a headache once they were done a few hours of this. My only contribution was to take Joel2's toy megaphone with a "robot voice" setting and read H.P. Lovecraft into a mic while they made some of their noise.

Eventually the guitars with 6 strings on them came out and an informal jammy thing started:


On Sunday, I seemed to want to sleep all the time, bought some milk, missed having a cat, watched Six Million Dollar Man and X-Files episodes, read the first half of the Terry Pratchett book I borrowed from Matt (Night Watch) and marked A-H in my Creative Writing class's work. I've been teaching about not using "it's" possessively. My whole "we don't write 'hi's' or 'her's' with an apostrophe, so don't write 'its' with one either" doesn't always stick.

So, tomorrow it's back to school.

No comments: