Friday 20 June 2014

A Heart-breaking Letter To A Grandpa

A letter to someone's Tunbridge Wells PB (my own group) grandfather was shared with me today.  After having read so much of this kind of thing, what jumps out at me as all-too-familiar are things like:

-the inevitable pressure to "come back," should one take a break from one's parents' church, or try out a different group.  No respecting of one's decisions here!
-continually being asked to justify and explain one's self, forever after,
-the viewing of people who've "left" as traitorous, foolish, spiritually inferior, rebellious, confused or self-indulgent.
-the refusal to deal with local problems, while insisting that "no one's perfect," as if that excuses the group from dealing with simple reality.  I see no apparent faith in the group as to its own ability to work with God and sort through stuff that surely needs to be sorted through, stat,
-no apparent fear for victims, past or future,
-no apparent fear of God dealing with unrepentant evil (unless it's of the "leaving" kind).  The group sins, and we're not to talk about it.  One person goes to another church, and it's a constant topic of conversation,
-fear of looking bad,
-the assumption that there can be no true relationship with God, and certainly no blessing in store for people who go to Another Church:

Dear Grandpa,

Hey, I want you to know how much I love and care about you, Gramps! You are an amusing character, and your care and love, for your grandkids and great grandkids, is undisputed!

You have asked over the years, and I think it’s important for me to share with you, why I don’t go to meeting, and perhaps some of why (son's name) doesn’t either.

Firstly, more than anything else, I am so thankful, and grateful, to have been raised by my parents. We were protected, and taught about the Lord daily. There was a sense of security and regimentation. I never questioned my parents love and devotion. They truly wanted the best for us. And I know they did better than anyone ever could with the tools they had. I respect and admire them, and love them so very much!!!!

History:

When you are a kid, you pretty much believe what you are taught. Every once in a while a bolt of lightning would strike with an idea, or thought, that differs from your education, something you grapple with, trying to make sense of. You didn’t like that feeling in the pit of your stomach that said you disagreed. It felt like you were sinning with the mere idea you may have a different opinion.

Growing up, I thought the meeting dated back to the days of the New Testament. It just seemed implied by its specialness. When I questioned the lineage of the meeting, and read about the history of The Brethren, it felt like I had been misled. How could “the truth of the One Body” only be in this little branch that had split into so many off-shoots. Not only had the meeting not even been around in bible times, it was a relatively recent organization! How can we be so sure we are the only ones doing it the right way? And if there are others doing it the right way, God will somehow bring them together? Why aren’t there so many more “correct” meetings? Answer: Because we WERE special. We were chosen. And we need to be so thankful, and live up to the worthiness. Somehow, it gave us the right to look down on all other Christians. Especially, people like those crazy Pentecostals. (I’m not disputing that some of their manic beliefs are really off the wall, just as much they must think some of our non-manic views are off the wall) We were allowed to scoff at them. And we could sneer at the bible thumping Baptists on the corner down the road. We were allowed to do that. But we are still not better, or more worthy, or somehow more in God’s favor. It seemed wrong to me, even as a little kid.

In our righteous dignity, especially those of us in the inner circle, we would even look down on the others IN the meeting, those who had a tv, who were mentally ill, who didn’t quite ‘understand’ the ground of gathering or dispensational truths, who used the NIV and were clearly lacking in spiritual intelligence.

I doubt it was the meeting’s outright agenda, but as it was, our perceived persona was more important than really being a genuine Christian, and what was truly on the inside. I look at (son's name) and admire him so much. I admire him for being an authentic Christian. He doesn’t try to pretend he is something he is not. He makes mistakes, and he freely admits it. And he relies on God’s Grace. He has been shepherded and guided by gracious men through his life.

I wish I could’ve been like (son's name)!!! I made mistakes, I didn’t care that I made the mistakes, I cared about not being looked at with disdain, and shaming my family’s good name. It was far more important to look good, than to actually be good. That may be a huge problem for most kids in the meeting. It overrides their responsibility to God when they have to be responsible to an organization that can discipline them (when they are caught) and decide when they are good and ready to be let back in, if ever. The Brothers are simply men, some of whom have just as many sins they have never repented for, in the same way they demand of others.

When I was 19, I sat through a meeting that nearly went until midnight (it should have been just a brother’s meeting) where one side of a meeting was disciplined for bringing to light, and asking for an apology, on behalf of a laboring brother who had sexually abused his little sister way up into her teens. Yes, it happened years before, and yes, it would have tainted the reputation of the laboring brother to have it acknowledged. Firstly, the allegation had been flatly denied. Secondly, instead of seeking to help repair their relationship, the people who supported the sister was silenced and shunned as heretics. They all would have readily forgiven him. The sister, especially!

Think about this. How can a woman who has been forced upon by her brother have any respect for him, especially now that he is a laboring brother?  How can she sit though a meeting where he (or any other affiliated Brother) is teaching about God’s Grace? It’s SO shameful, yes, but God forgives!!!! God heals!!!! Do women matter in the fellowship? Are they allowed to be abused and just discarded?

We all sin. We all make serious mistakes. Why is it so hard to confess crap we’ve done? Why is it so important to ‘look’ righteous? Why can’t we truly believe in the Grace that God gives us if we simply ask for it.

My head spins when I try to overlay my reality, (the way I see Grace, God’s Love and discipline) with the traditions of the meeting. (Man’s discipline, self righteous piety) There is such a chasm between the two.

Leaving the meeting behind was the most heart-wrenching thing I’ve ever been through. I love everyone there!!! And I still consider them family. Things have certainly changed over the last 40 years, but I still can’t be a part of the damaging aspects that have caused so many families such unnecessary pain.

I want to be gracious and non-judgmental, Grandpa. I want to love, and forgive, and encourage others. I don’t want to put people on guilt trips, or feel superior to others. I don’t want to beat my kids into submission. It didn’t work for most of us.

I am sorry that you can’t have all of your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids gathered in the same assembly. That makes me sad too. However, we all are Christians, and I know that makes you happy. We will all spend eternity with our Loving Father…together. (I’m looking forward to seeing dearest Grandma with her long hair and smiling brown eyes)

Thank you for being a man of God, Grandpa.

Love, 
from your Grandaughter

No comments: